About three years ago, I joined up with Google AdSense.
I installed the software on two sites and sat back to wait for the money to roll in.
I don’t like advertisements at the best of times, and ads on websites can be particularly annoying, but I hoped it would provide a little extra revenue, so I put my principles to one site.
Sure enough, the ads looked horrible.
After a couple of years, I hadn’t made much more than about a hundred and fifty dollars, so I decided that I would remove the function from one of the sites [Head Rambles], and let the other site tick over.
Of course, the mere trickle of income dried up even more, and I decided recently that the whole thing just wasn’t worth the bother. I decided to scrap Google AdSense completely so that my conscience could be clear once more.
I went into the other site to disable the plugin. There wasn’t one. I realised I must have hard coded the script in, so I went to the source code. There was no script. I realised that I had rewritten the site some time ago, and must have forgotten to insert the Google AdSense script into the new code.
So now I have no sites using Google AdSense. But for some strange reason, there is still a trickle of income. It’s not much – I made $0.84 last month! According to Google, the income is from both the original sites, but neither have the code, or are displaying ads.
I don’t know where the cash is coming from, but I won’t bother closing my account.
If nothing else, it amuses me.